We rely on financial support from the public to provide funding for cancer research. We do not receive any government funding therefore we must rely on the generosity of the public, people such as yourself. We collect personal information from you that is necessary for us to perform our functions. The types of personal information we collect, and the purposes of collecting that information, include:
- Donors – When you make a donation, including via this website, in person, over the phone, by direct deposit, via email, via post or through our fundraising personnel or volunteers as part of any of our fundraising events or activities or at our offices, we collect and store in our database your name, phone number, address, email address, date of birth, payment and billing details, and other contact information. We will use this information to process your donation, complete your tax receipt, send you further information about us and for promotional purposes. We engage third party service providers to process electronic payments of donations and store and manage your personal information.
- Supporters and volunteers – We may also collect our supporters’ and volunteers’ names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, and other contact information, records of communication between them and us and other personal information about our current and potential supporters and volunteers so that we can encourage, record and acknowledge their support and communicate with them about us and our activities.
- Distributing publications – We collect contact details (which may include name, phone number, address, email address and other contact information) when individuals interact with us in order to distribute newsletters and other communications in print and electronic form. When you receive these communications we of course hope that you will choose to continue to support our work in cancer research however you may decide not to support us or, to wait until some point in the future. The choice is yours and we will respect your wishes. Recipients may choose to have their names and addresses removed from our distribution lists by contacting us.
- Assisting with your queries – You may choose to provide us with your name or other contact details when you call us by phone or write to us so that we can respond to your requests for information about our services or operations.
- Conducting events – We collect contact details and other personal information (including photographs and videos) about donors, volunteers and other supporters who wish to join, or participate, in our events, programmes we conduct and our publications. This information is used to administer these events, promote and seek support for such events, share individuals’ stories with the community and for our other activities. Where the relevant person consents, this information may include health or other sensitive information.
- Conducting our general business activities – We collect personal information about individuals who are, or are employed by, our suppliers (including service and content providers), contractors and agents for our general business operations.
- Applying for a position (as a volunteer or employee) with us – We may collect your personal information, including name and contact details, information about your working history and relevant records checks (including criminal and working with children checks) when you apply for a position with us, in order for us to assess your suitability for that or other positions. With your consent, this information may include information or an opinion about your criminal record or other sensitive information.
We collect information in many different ways. We have information on our database concerning each person who has generously donated to us. The information we collect comes from sources such as In-memoriam donation envelopes, Appeal responses and from those who send in a donation with their personal details.
We may also collect information about an individual from third parties including third party information sources. We will do this if the individual has consented for us to collect, use and disclose the information in this way, or where it is not reasonable or practical for us to collect this information directly from the individual.
We use and disclose personal information we collect to:
- Process donations and communicate with our donors and supporters, including sending them information (which may be done by phone, post, email or other electronic means);
- Communicate with donors and supporters, employees and volunteers (including responding to queries and complaints) and distribute our publications, conduct fundraising events and raise awareness about our fundraising activities and our mission;
- Conduct our general business activities, including interacting with contractors and service providers, billing and administration including measuring and assessing the level of support we receive and the effectiveness of our fundraising activities and assessing applicants for positions with us.
The disclosures referred to above may include disclosure to third parties such as our contractors, service providers, employees and volunteers only to the extent necessary for them to perform their duties to us. Apart from the disclosures listed above, the Australian Cancer Research Foundation does not rent out, sell or otherwise share its donor information with any other organisation under any circumstances.
If your details appear on our donor database we will continue to send you information about the Australian Cancer Research Foundation which we trust will be of interest to you. If however, you would prefer not to receive information about the Australian Cancer Research Foundation in the future please contact us on 1300 884 988.
We regard the security of your personal information as a priority and implement a number of physical and electronic measures to protect it. We remind you, however, that the internet is not a secure environment and although all care is taken, we cannot guarantee the security of information you provide to us via electronic means.
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. If your details should change, if you believe that your personal information held by us is inaccurate or out of date, or if you would like access to the information we hold about you please contact us on 1300 884 988.
If you would like to update any of your personal information held by us, please contact us on 1300 884 988.
Privacy Officer at Australian Cancer Research Foundation,
Suite 2, Level 3
77 King St, Sydney NSW 2000,
Phone 02 9223 7833 | Facsimile 09 9223 1800 | Email email@example.com